Ironically mum doesn’t add chicken so you don’t have to either but I enjoy the protein add in for lunch. Alternative can be beans, lentils or chickpeas
4 stalks celery
2 large leeks
2 medium carrots
1 potato halved (can use sweet potato)
1tsp olive oil or coconut
½ bunch of parsley
3tbsp pearl barley
2 stock cubes
6 skinless chicken thighs roughly chopped
- Using a large pot over a medium heat add the oil.
- Ensure all veg are roughly chopped up, this is a chunky soup so chop them how you like.
- Add the celery, leeks and carrots to the pot season with a little pepper and stir occasionally for 5-10 min.
- Dissolve the stock in a jug with roughly 1500ml of hot water & pour into the pot.
- Pop the chicken in and bring to the boil.
- Add the pear barley & simmer for 30mins stirring often.
- Chop the parsley and pop in keeping the pot on simmer for an added 15-20 mins.
Nutritional value will vary (estimate):
Cals: 180 per bowl
Carbs: 15g Fat: 6g Protein: 17g.