z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Relaxation? | MaeveMadden

Relaxation?

• Hi ladies, Happy Friday!!!! Nearly another week down and hopefully everyone is feeling that bit stronger and fitter 💪💪💪💪💪💪

I was wondering if anyone would be interested and might feel comfortable in sharing what they currently do for relaxing, destressing etc, as if might give others some inspiration of new things to try out?

I am going to share some of what I call my tools that I use to try keep me balanced, though I must admit when I get caught up in the stress I tend to fall back on chocolate and coffee! I hope this isn't in any way triggering for anyone who is under extreme time pressure due to small kids, home-schooling, college or work for home etc etc or that makes you feel like there aren't enough hours in the day already as it is!! Hopefully there are small bits here that might help even one person, and if others contribute I might get some more ideas for me!! 

QDQ- OBVS number 1! If you can't get motivated for one of the longer classes from the week go to the library and do one of the shorter classes, commit to at least the warm-up and one song, and if you still feel bleugh and give yourself a break, but more than likely you'll catch the energy! 

Spotify - "Wake-up Wind-Down" by Bressie, 4 minutes in the morning and 10 at night, described as a hug for the mind and the soul!

Yoga- I try to do this minimum twice a week, I do a wake up class with Cole Chance on YouTube on a Tuesday, and Esther's class on Sunday. 

Radio- every Friday Block Rockin Beats is on at 7, it's old school dance and rave music from the 90s, 00s, and some current, and I dance like a loon around my kitchen! 

Reading- I try to read a chapter a night before I go to sleep, just to focus the mind on something other than doom scrolling

Headspace app- Hans Zimmerman focus playlist for 85 minutes is wonderful

Time outdoors- I try to walk most days, and I make sure to listen out for the birds etc, a sign that Spring is on the way! 

Matt Haig- brilliant to follow on Insta, and his latest fiction "The Midnight Library" is a wonderful read, especially or those you may or may have had depression and/or anxiety. It just makes you reaffirm life

trying new recipes- I like trying out a new recipe every few weeks, something different to break the routine as I can be quite a creature of habit! 

Baths- my new treat, maybe once a week I have a bath with magnesium salts to help the aches, I light some candles and put on some music, dim the lights and lie back and relax! 

• Hey Sharon! I love this, great idea 🙌

This lockdown has been the toughest one for me I think. The main thing I've found helpful for stress levels is keeping to a routine. I only really started a few weeks ago and I have had some lows still but I've definitely seen a big difference in the few weeks. 

I started journaling so every night before bed I do a brain dump and just write down everything and anything on my mind (I swear if anyone read it, they probably wouldn't make any sense of it 😂). I also write out a few goals for the next day so I have something to focus on. The goals are generally the same so doing some kind of workout and hitting 10K steps. I do that everynight, it's quite repetitive but it been helping to keep me in a good head space (Along with the workouts! 😊)

I'll definitely be trying a few of your suggestions too - the spotify one sounds great! 😊

• @Orla O'Connor Oh I do the goals/tasks one too, how could I forget to include it haha. So each night I will write out a to-do list for the next day and I include as much as possible as I get such satisfaction from crossing things off the list! It makes you recognise that actually I did 6 things (usually two are the workouts!) so yes I did achieve something even if the pesky voice in the head might be trying to claim otherwise! 

Another thing is every morning I dress my bed, so that I will always have achieved something straight away! 

Agreed that this lockdown has been the toughest, and the fact that it's coming up on a year and we are still up to our eyes in this $h!t!!!! Routine is key for me as well and I try focus on that day-by-day and not think too much on the outside world! Hope you are doing ok- massive big virtual hug winging it's way to you!!! xx 

• @Sharon Scully I absolutely love this Sharon! It definitely has been a stressful time and sometimes we just need to take a step back from the world and chill out! I absolutely love Bressie's podcast, I loved his book too definitely worth the read if you haven't already!

• I find going out for even a 10/15 minute walk really helps. I used to feel guilty for any time I was stepped away from my desk at home but I've now realised that stepping away is the key. I used to sit there for hours and hours as a ball of stress and now I've realised that if I'm not being productive it's best to walk away from it, go for a wee walk and come back!
    • I LOVE Esther's classes and I've made a promise to myself that I'm going to start doing them regularly instead of just every few weeks. Even if I do them in my pyjamas I love them. Honestly anyone whose feeling stressed or a wee bit sore I would definitely recommend scheduling Esther's class!
    • Obviously the wrkouts keep me in check, combat is definitely the one to do after a long day of negative energy.
    • I've also cut down on my coffee which I feel like has made me a wee bit more relaxed, I was tired for the first while but I feel like cutting down is definitely worth it because it was revving up my anxiety so much. 
    • I feel that the biggest thing for me is I've stopped watching the news too. I know it's important to be aware of what's going on and I do keep a check on it every so often but it was just absolutely draining me and sending my stress levels through the roof because it was always bad news. Definitely would rocommend a news detox to anyone who gets overwhelmed listeing to it every day. 

I definitely need to start reading more but sometimes I'm so tired when I get into bed that I'm out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow 😂

Love this post Sharon, so helpful. Sometimes there are so many things we don't even think about that could help us relax! 

• @Sharon Scully Yes! I love crossing everything off at the end of the day - its the little wins!🙌 Also if I dont get something done I make sure not to beat myself up over it and I just add it to the next day. It's been a tough year so we need to remember to be kind to ourselves.

Aw thank you! Hope you're doing ok as well! We'll get through it all, this community is great too! xx

• @Orla O'Connor Don't tell anyone, but sometimes if I do something that I hadn't included on the list I will then add it in after I have done it so I can cross it off!!! 🤣😂🤣😂 Excellent point on not using the list as a point of punishment either. 

• @Sharon Scully  great idea! I do so many of the ones you listed too! Love keeping a journal - I actually have 2 journals, one diary so I dont forget appointments etc in, and I set 3 goals for every day in that one that I can tick off at the end of the day. The second is a gratitude journal. No matter how crap a day is I find something in that day that I am grateful of! 

I also love doing some mindful colouring! I have so many coloured pencils and recently even got crayons to really embrace my inner child and love to colour... even if its just while I am watching TV with himself!

I also love sitting on my bed and just listening to a podcast and just doing nothing. I used to feel guilty about this but not any more... sometimes you just need to stop and chill but I like listening to chats on podcasts!!

Youve reminded me I have a Matt Haig book I really need to read soon too!!

hope you're keeping well Queen 👑❤️

• @Sharon Scully Hahaha I do the same! So happy I'm not alone in that 🤣🤣

• Oh @Sharon Scully this is a brilliant idea!! I've been trying harder these days to find things to help me relax and like you QDQ is number 1, Esther's yoga and sineads barre and pilates I just adore. ive recently started reading again b4 bed and trying not too look at phone.  

Getting out for a walk us my go too, it does wonders for my head.

I've been looking for meditation to listen to so ill defo try some mentioned here like bressies one! 

All these things r so Important for self care zxx