z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Straightening legs during Barre/Pilates | MaeveMadden

Straightening legs during Barre/Pilates

• This is probobly aimed at @Sinead Corcoran 

When I do any moves where my leg is in the air, perpendicular to my hips, I find it quite hard to keep it straight, like it is fairly straight but the bend creeps back in, I assume its my hamstring, but I can touch the floor with almost flat ahnds standing up straight so not sure what else I can do to improve this flexibility.

*I do have some hyper extension in some joints and perhaps my knees do this as a protective thing automatically to stop me hurting myself!!

• @Anne Hamilton Black I'm so sorry I'm only catching up on the forum today! 

how are your glutes and lower back? If they are tight they might be stopping you from extending your leg fully at that angle. Remember it's like standing up and extending your leg out in front at a 90 degree angle! 

Other than that with hyperextension it's important not to over stretch or "snap back" the knees too. 

have a little experiment with some glute stretches and some lower back (child's pose, cat cow, etc) and let me know how they feel and we'll take it from there! 😘

• Hi Sinead i only started QDQ in January as i injured myself running last year and have spent months in physio but still wanted to keep active without injuring myself further! I'm loving all the classes with Maeve but honestly doing the pilates every week has been a life changer for me....i'm standing very day at work as am a pharmacist so the stretching and work on my core and hips has completely cured the pain i was having in my lower back and hips. Your are so easy to follow and i really enjoy the classes. Thank you to you and Maeve as wouldn't have thought of trying pilates without this site😊

• Thanks @Sinead Corcoran Im not sure, I always have lower back pain so it probobly is tight, its just chronic back pain that never really goes away.

I cant think of any glute streches, but I can do the cat cow and childs pose easily without any tightness. I do pilates separate to here 4 times a week so flexibility otherwise is fine.

• Hi@Anne Hamilton Black , 

For glute stretches an easy one is to 

- Lie on your back, knees bent feet planted 

- Cross the right ankle over your left knee

Thread your arms through to hold behind the left thigh and then pull the left knee toward your chest. 
     Hold for 30s and then repeat other side. 

Let  me know how you get on -  but honestly since you are suffering with chronic pain I would always always suggest you see a trained professional in person so your own doctor or directly to a physiotherapist to get a specific analysis, diagnosis and exercises that may help! ❤️

• @Catherine King that has just made my entire Monday! 

I'm so so glad you've discovered Pilates and that it is changing your life on a day to day basis! 😍😍

• @Sinead Corcoran Oh dont worry I have, its one of those pains that is much better with activity like pilates, and gets so much with I stop!! Ive seen a few physios for that issue and its basically long term chronic back pain, probobly started due to carrying my now 16 year old around on my hip for so long when he was a toddler and poor posture!

But maybe I do need to see a physio to see if they can pinpoint where the tightnes is, I will try the glute streches, I can hold my shin at that angle but maybe doing it for longer and a lot more regularly will help!

Thanks so much for the tips xx