z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Shin splints& Tight Calf Muscle | MaeveMadden

Shin splints& Tight Calf Muscle

• I have a tight calf muscle on one leg, and a shin splint on the other. I am trying to walk as normally as possible. I have been putting a cream on my calf muscle, and I am taking a rest day today minus going for a walk. Any recommendations for dealing with the shin splint would be great!! Thanks!!

• I was only just told I have shin splints, mine is just above my ankle.  was given a load of physio to do and I have to calm down on HIIT until its recovered. 

• @Anne Hamilton Black Thanks! Yeah, I am not sure about HIIT. I am waiting to see how it feels after a day of no workouts. 

• Hi Sarah,

I suffer with both, they are such a pain, for the calf muscles I find the exercise Maeve does in the warm up great, your bum stuck up in the air and walk your feet, I do these in the morning and a couple of times a day, its made a great difference, I still cant lie on my back with my legs straight in the air. Also look at your footwear I have a pair of Nike todos which arent great as they dont have a lot of support. 

• @denise lyons Thank you. Yeah, I think I need to switch my trainers, but I don't have what to. I have been using ASICS Gel Kayano for 4+ years. I wish I could go into a store and get help, but can't do that right now. I learned tonight that mountain climbers and shin splints are a no go. 

• Hey@Sarah H. Smith  I find using a foam roller great for tight muscles it's good for shin splints too there's loads of videos on YouTube on how to work it on the different    areas 😊

• @Sarah H. Smith @Anne Hamilton Black  I'm in the same boat girls. I was told recently these r all signs of fallen arches. I was given some exercises to do which I'll share here with u. We do them anyway before & after workouts but if u set aside some extra time to do them it will certainly help more. The last one is barefoot/in socks when possible.

• @Sharon Murphy Great, thanks!! I have ordered a foam roller, and will check out those things on YouTube. 

• @Audrey Browne thank you for these!! What is that last bit that is to be done in barefoot? 

• @Sarah H. Smith yes the mountain climbers definitely hurt!

I'm so deflated I rested mine over the long weekend to no avail. Hopefully the physio will help, he basically said to keep the muscle moving, that asking as it's not excruciating then to keep going, lots of stretches on tippy toes, heel lifts on one leg, standing up and down from a chair on the bad leg. 
    mine seems to be quite bad so had to go to physio! And I don't run!! He was in shock at how fit I am concidering everyone e else is loosing their fitness with lockdown!!

• @Anne Hamilton Black Great!! Thank you for those!! I do find that when I go for my daily walk, they both start feeling better. I will try those stretches. I think I am also going to look into new trainers. Not sure if I should go with my same old, or try something new. 

• @Audrey Browne I know I definitely dont have fallen arches as my teenage son has always suffered with these and has worn insoles in his shoes, a good exercise if anyone has fallen arches is to run a tennis ball over and back with your foot to stretch the muscle, he was told by podiatrist to wear asics runners as these have a good high arch, he can wear these without his insoles. Also told if you can bend any shoe in half its a huge no no as there's no support in it!

• @Sarah H. Smith I know its so hard to know, I wore asics for years bought a lovely new pair last year and my feet and legs were in bits from them. I bought the Nike todos for walking which are good but find them too heavy for these workouts esp the more hiit based ones, I pulled my calf muscle a few weeks ago, I put that kinesiology support tape on it but I'm still afraid it will go again, just doing loads of stretches at the mo. I know Maeve suggested the Nike Super rep trainers, saving up for a pair. 

• @denise lyons I am looking at the super reps. Because of having a wide foot, I usually get a men's shoe, so I am looking at a pair that are £80.

• @Sarah H. Smith I'm the exact same Sarah,  I wore different runners yesterday on walk....so annoying. You are doing everything I think that will help and girls have good tips too xx

• @Carmel Mulvany Thanks Carmel!! 

• @Sarah H. Smith sorry Queen. It says barefoot or socked feet whenever possible. Rather than slippers or shoes indoors. 👑👑👑❤️❤️❤️

• @denise lyons believe it or not I bought that tape last wk although u haven't used it yet 🙄. My walking has stopped because of my shin splints & achilles. So I'm hoping the tape will give me a bit of protection. 🤞🤞🤞👑👑👑❤️❤️❤️

• @denise lyons I've wear Asics all the time. I change my runners every 6ish months as I find that the support is worn down at this stage. Yes I was told same about bending of runners or footwear. I have purchased a few pairs of Nike recently but haven't used them for working yet, something I'll have to rectify 🤗. Of crse we must remember that our living rooms & kitchens were not made for working out on. Even though we have timber floors or carpets or tiles we still r jumping up & down on concrete whereas the floors in gyms were especially designed for all kinds of impact, so we r all bound to suffer some forms of injuries bcos of this 😲😲. Denise have a look at the posts about the Super reps as some of the Queens were happy with them & some found them uncomfortable, which Maeve did say they may not suit everypne. I was going to buy a pair but decided that as they were expensive I'd wait until shops opened again to try them on rather than dealing with online returns policies. Can I ask did ur son have to get insoles especially made & if so wld u recommend??! 👑👑👑❤️❤️❤️

• Hey 

I have shin splints too. I am trying to do couch to 5k before I am 30 (June) and I feel like I was making good progress so I am feeling a bit disheartened now. 

I am resting up my leg and just doing upper body workout on QDQ. I just bought nike pegasus zoom runners. I really dont have a clue runners wise so hopefully they help. And I have been advised to get compression socks. I also heard there are some good videos for stretches on YouTube 

Thank you for starting this conversation all the advice is great 😊 and I am sure we will be fit and 100% soon 🏃‍♀️

• 1 / 2