z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

PMDD or PMT | MaeveMadden

PMDD or PMT

• Hi Queens

I joined Queens on Feb 11th, so nearly my month anniversary 💕 I'm looking to see if any of you have advice about training around periods and more specifically pmdd. I was recently diagnosed with PMDD, one of my worst symptoms is my body loathing, I can literally feel the difference in how I view myself over night and among other symptoms this lasts around 2weeks until my period starts.

I find it the hardest thing to deal with as I'm having a constant brain battle. I know my worth is not defined by my size, but equally I can stand crying in my room having tried on 8 different leggings (ones just the day before I felt fine in) gripped with a sense of disgust at what I see in the mirror. Long story short I've started on tinctures and am 3 months in now, gradually feeling a shift. 

However, I feel so heavy and slow during this time I struggle to know what workout to do. I dont want to stop working out as the buzz I get from it afterwards is huge every time. 

Do any of you recommend a certain one which is good for when you're on? I've just done a beginner workout but felt like it's not enough. Should I do more cardio or weight stuff?

Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is real at the moment and trying to get out what I feel is hardwork 🤣

Lx

• Hi Laura, I suffer with PMDD too. During this time, I cut back and only do up to 3 workouts. I struggle to do cardio when my symptoms are bad as it makes me feel weak and dizzy. I focus more on the strength training classes like sweaty 7s. My gynaecologist recommends strength/weight training as its good to help balance your hormones. I also take breaks whilst doing the workouts, so I don't feel overwhelmed. Remember rest is just important, listen to your body. I hope this helps. xx

• @Sian Coleridge thank you!! I got myself in such a tizz trying to find a workout to do today I did beginner because I couldn't remember what meant what! I walk every day too so think a good strength workout a few days a weeks is great advice. Thank you, learning to listen to and understand my body is proving hardwork 🤨 xx

• @Laura Wells Aw queen that sounds really tough. I don't suffer with PMDD so can't imagine how difficult it is. My PMS is quite bad but managable. Personally I take it down a level most of the time the week before and the week of my period if I'm not feeling like doing much. I tend to get really bad lower back pain during my period so I find the jumping just aggrivates it and also if I'm feeling bloated or anything I often feel self conscious doing cardio because I fear the jiggle 😅 I would go for the strength classes if you're feeling it or maybe Barre or just one of Esther's classes! Definitely take your rest if you need it though queen, rest is so important and don't beat yourself up if you don't feel up to working out. I'm glad you've put this topic up queen because I'm sure there are so many queens that feel the same. Take care of yourself Laura x

• @Niamh Byrne thank you for being so kind. It's something which often isn't talked about enough and sadly often the reason I walk away from my fitness. I dont want that anymore, I want to consistently keep working out whilst listening to my body. I will get investigating some of these other classes, ive been a bit scared of trying anyone but maeves workouts so far. Sounds really daft but I feel safe with her 🤷‍♀️ xx

• @Laura Wells I completely understand that I was the same a while back, honestly I find the barre great when I'm on my period, I don't normally get a chance to do it with college it's just on at a bad time for me but I'd definitely recommend even having a look at some of the other trainers' workouts, I'm sure there's something you'll love for when you're not feeling fantastic. Definitely keep listening to your body queen, it's definitely one of the many things that I've learned since starting Maeve's workouts. You just have to tune into yourself sometimes and ask your body what it can do on a given day xx

• @Niamh Byrne I can totally relate to this Niamh! My period is quite bad for the first two days - heavy flow, strong cramps and literally no energy. I can be in bed all day and still struggling to get up. I don't usually do any workouts on these two days (it's only two days out of thirty anyway!) but for the remaining of my period, I do switch to strength classes so that I don't need to jump or sweat too much. Hope it helps @Laura Wells, you are definitely not alone!!