z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

IBS flare up.....😪 | MaeveMadden

IBS flare up.....😪

• Hi queens!!!! Happy Monday!!!! Just completed todays workout...... boy was it long...  I'm bloody wrecked but loved it as always!!!.

I'm looking for advice!! I know so many of you suffer with IBS! I've had a massive flare up over the past few days and I'm thinking its stress related! Just wanted to ask if any of you have any quick fixes to releave the pains and relax stomach?? 

Not the nicest chats but mad to know if anyone has tried anything that helps! Xxx

• Hi Carmel,

I don't have any advice other than maybe try some peppermint tea or I think you can get a thing called buscopan over the counter?  As far as I know, it takes the spasm out of cramps. I hope you feel better soon.  There is nothing worse than stomach discomfort, it's so debilitating.  Hope you feel better soon. xx

• Ughh so sorry@Carmel Mulvany! Flare ups can be so debilitating.

Have you heard of the Gut Health Doctor/Dr Meghan Rossi? I found her book to be a huge help, and she really recommends gentle yoga daily for IBS. Esther's classes are so lovely - maybe you could make a peppermint tea, get in cozy clothes and try one from the library? Cat cows and deep belly / meditative breathing help me. If you're having spasms, the quick acting Buscopan is also always tucked in my bag "just incase!" Gentle hugs to you xx 

• Hey Carmel - nothing worse than a bad flare up. Stress is the most common cause of IBS flare ups or any gut issue which can make it so hard to treat because there's no quick fix! 

A few things I'd recommend is try eating small meals more regularly than having fewer big meals as this will relieve your body from that extra pressure of having to digest a big meal. Make sure you're getting plenty of water (but remember small sips rather than downing a glass) and peppermint tea is a great one. Try to avoid coffee if you can! I also do some yoga stretches to encourage movement and its also great for releasing stress which will tackle the cause of the flare up too! 

I'm not sure if you've ever tried Colpermin peppermint oil tablets but they are amazing! They're over the counter and you can take one up to three times per day. Hopefully that helps 💛 

Make sure to get rest and down time and take care of yourself!!

• @Carmel Mulvany aw Carmel that's not fun, I've been having a lot of flare ups recently and I think it's probably stress too. I just usually be careful with what I'm eati when I get a flare up to try not make it worse, I actually take Colpermin too they're like peppermint capsules I think they're really good. Buscopan is very good and my doctor actually prescribed me with Spasmol I think it's called, I take that when I have a flare up and it helps! I say just take it easy queen, I hope you start feeling better soon xx

• @Carmel Mulvany Hey Carmel, totally feel ya here. Feel like my life is a never ending IBS flare up and stress is always a bit trigger. I would say drink a lot of liquids, peppermint tea as suggested or I actually prefer ginger. Including ginger in food as well is good because it can act as an anti inflammatory. I normally take probiotics every day in various forms, (tablet, yoghurt and foods such as miso soup). 

Avoid foods that are overly processed and gassy like fizzy drinks etc - it's easy to eat a lot of comfort food when you feel rubbish but it doesn't always help. If you know what your safe foods are that helps. My go to is normally a light stir fry packed with veg and brown rice as it gives you a lot of fibre and is nice on the gut. 

Most importantly though I think you need to try and just accept the flare up and find a way to destress. Often the worry and stress of the pain and bloating just makes it worse and you end up in a never ending cycle! Whether that's having a bath, reading a book, face mask, doing some yoga or flaking out with a hot water bottle on the couch then trying to get an early night. Hopefully by tomorrow you'll feel much better. Sending my love 💕 xx

• @Clairecluck1 thank you so much sweetie,  gonna get peppermint tea for sure! I totally forgot about that!!! Irs not nice cuz you have mo control of it!! Xx

• @Elise Karam thank you so much elise, I actually did Esther's class yesterday and loved it so defo try another this evening!!  Tummy so sore and swollen, just hard to manage at the moment!  Thanks for ur advice xxx

• @Maeve O'Keeffe you are an absolute sweetheart, thanks for all ur great tips!!! I actually think the big meals has been related to flare up too, defo need to have more frequent small meals, super advice xx

• @Niamh Byrne thanks so much hun, gonna tip into chemist now and see what I can get to help!!! Ur a wee star! Xx

• @Amy Johnston well Amy ur do so good, all those tips are fantastic!!! Thank you so much! Gonna try teas and rice and veg for dinner!!! I had take out Friday night and my whole stomach went into a spasm straight away so that just pushed my gut into over drive! For years I have struggled but past few yrs haven't been too bad so I forgot all the go toos!!!! Thanks so much, I knew my queens would be able to help xxxx

• @Carmel Mulvany No worries! I also have a flare up from overindulging at the weekend so I feel your pain. Hopefully some of this works for you though! xxx

• Hi Carmel! I feel your pain 😢 really small things that help comfort my belly sometimes are a hot shower/bath and a hot water bottle. They're not a solution but just something to make you feel a little better! There's nothing worse than being bloated and in pain ☹️ I hope you feel better soon! xx

• Hey Carmel! There is honestly nothing worse than a flare up. I have chrons and tend to get really bad flare ups when I'm stressed! The girls advice is spot on! For me when I'm going through one I tend to take Buscopan (a god sent!) and just try relax with a hot water bottle and a bit of meditation to take my mind of both the flare up and stress! Whenever I can feel one coming on I just grab the buscopan, hot water bottle, stick my headphones in and it doesn't be long passing! Hope you feel better soon Queen💕

• @Niamh thank you so much niamh,  defo try hot water bottle xxx

• @Ciara Murphy thank you so much ciara, I remember being on buscapan years ago, didn't realise you can get it over the counter! Definitely need to have it at home incase it gets bad again!!! You queens r just amazing, blessed to have all ur help xxx 

• Urgh IBS is the worst ! I suffer all the time agai. mainly stress and food! Sometimes all you can do is peppermint tea, hot water bottle, stretch and try to relax! I have flare ups all the time and the more I worry the worse it gets. It's so hard but I do recommend checking out what you eat... but also try not to be too hard on yourself and if you can get rid of the pain side of things just try ride the "bloaty" wave 🤪🤣

• @Julia Galloway thanks so much honey!!!!! I plan on tea, hot water bottle and bed early!!!! I have a date with my bed!!!! Xx

• @Carmel Mulvany Yes! It's so exhausting - I am always so wiped out when it happens. I wish there was an easy fix cure it's so frustrating! Enjoy your hot date 🤣💕

• @Julia Galloway as you said, you just have to ride d wave!!! Thanks again xxx

• 1 / 2