z
z
  • z
z Search

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.

You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Maeve Madden from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MaeveMadden.co.
The information provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.  Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this website.  Never rely on information on this website in place of seeking professional medical advice.
Maeve Madden (MaeveMadden.co) is not responsible or liable for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products that you obtain through this site.  You are encouraged to consult with your doctor with regard to this information contained on or through this website.  After reading articles, watching videos or reading other content from this website, you are encouraged to review the information carefully with your professional healthcare provider.

Image caption appears here

Add your deal, information or promotional text

Nutrition newbie! | MaeveMadden

Nutrition newbie!

• Hey Queens,

So, I am brand spanking new to Queens don't quit and would love some advice on Nutrition! It confuses me and I feel I always get conflicting information on what's best. Ideally my goal is weight loss. I've been told you need a calorie deficit to lose weight but then I've also been told you can be in an unhealthy calorie deficit if the food intake in your calories are high in fat etc but low in calories. Then adding macros into the mix. Should I be working on macros rather than calories and if so how do you work out what your macro intake should be? Ideally I want to change my eating habits to a healthier intake but also taking into consideration weight loss. I hope that all makes sense 😂

Thank you! 

• Hi Lynn, 

Welcome to the club. Great to have you along to share this summer queen journey with. ☺️ 

Yes you are correct with needing the calorie deficit. I think it is recommended to go no lower than 500 calories of a deficit per day. This should insure you are loosing weight but in a healthy way. If you use any TDEE calculators online they will calculate this for you. I would recommend working out your weekly target if you enjoy having a takeaway or a few more treats at the weekend, like me. ☺️ 

At the beginning of my fitness journey two years ago, I focused on a calorie deficit and also calculating my macros. For me this was very intense and I became a little obsessive around it which wasn't good for the head. I now just focus on calories as a whole. Although, I do try and hit a high protein target each day too. I have found this much more sustainable and I am definitely happier achieving my goals this way. 

Of course this is just one experience and it is defineatly up to each individual person and what works best for them. 

I think its important to get the basics right first. Calories in vs. calories out, eating real good quality foods, drinking atleast 2 litres of water a day, increasing your fruit and veg intake, getting enough good quality sleep (something I am still struggling with but working on) and having a good balance. (For me its a bar of chocolate each day. Or two. 🙈) 

I hope this is of some help. I look forward to hearing other perspectives on this one. ☺️

• Hi all, brand new to QDQ too. Thanks for asking this lynn as i definitely need to change my eating patterns but in a healthy and sustainable way. Great to have those with experience guiding us! 

• Thank you @Iona Brady very much appreciated and realistic as well. I had a trainer once who only allowed yoghurt and fruit as a snack and I was like...can't have yoghurt with a cuppa! Tried to stick to his "rules" but all in all ended up failing because I was getting all the cravings. Nice to be able to manage calories but also allow yourself a wee something without the major guilt! 

• Hi @Lynn Wortley and @Nicola Courtney - welcome 😊

I agree with @Iona Brady - be careful because it can become very obsessive. I dip in and out of counting calories/macro information because you start to get an idea of what works for you after a while. For me, i saw the biggest change when i focused on hitting my carlories and my protein intake only - i am practically veggie so protein is difficult for me to hit! Protein shakes can help. 

Apps like MyFitnessPal and LifeSum are good at keeping you on track and look at both calories and macros. 

Are you both new to exercise too? Because this could mean a slightly differnent thing - if you introduce exercise then that would be your deficit to what you are usually doing. Hope that makes sense! You're basically burning more than normal anyway so should see change. 

There is a nutrition talk on Wednesday at 7pm - might be worth going to that, imagine she might start with the basics given the new challenge and all the new faces.

Good Luck Queens!

• @Tori Clarke thank u so much thats really helpful. I used to exercise quite a lot but had my 2nd baby 10weeks ago and didnt exercise during my pregnancy at all. Im relatively new to calorie counting so will definitely have a look at the nutrition talk on wednesday and my fitness pal! I definitely need to have a little flexibility but really want to just start eating healthier overall. Thank u!

• @Lynn Wortley No problem at all.

Only yoghurt and fruit? Omg I couldn't cope. Sounds like torture 😂 

• @Tori Clarke relatively new to exercise!  Did a great local post natal fitness class near me after my son was born and saw such a rise in my fitness levels!  Then I went back to old habits!  My son is almost 3 now so, I would say I am pretty much starting from scratch again.  I have myfitnesspal and I know it tracks my exercise too.

Will definitely have to catch that live on Wednesday - Thanks!

• @Iona Brady thanks so much for that great advice queen!!! Xx

• @Carmel Mulvany Your so welcome ☺️ It’s great that we can all share our experiences